Saturday 7 September 2019

Late summer 2019. Carrots.

I have no regrets about changing the way we grow on the plot. 

I sowed Oxheart Carrots using Baker Creek seeds [from Missouri], which in the greater scheme of things was yes, quite expensive but has already washed its face as they say. 

I sowed them in March, in between the Garlics that I had put in during last October, which I had left over from a teaching session. They germinated quite quickly, and steamed ahead. I was thrilled when they started getting some girth but I never expected this.





Now, I've been saving seeds of plants for years, and I know I shouldn't save from plants that flower early. But, I'm going to let the 3 that are flowering, flower and save the seeds and see if I get decent carrots next year. If so, I'll save from the slowest to flower. It's worth the risk. 

These carrots are sweet, don't go woody and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

No comments: