Thursday 9 August 2012

Good old Mrs Hutchinson and her potato onions

Watch out - it's another Heritage Veg Review.

This is why going to a HSL seed swap trounces everyone else. I got these in January at Garden Organic's Potato Day. I popped them into my Hugelkultur bed around March time, having popped them into a pot of compost as soon as I got them. Harvested this last weekend and I am very pleased with them. These are the 'eaters' - you can see they are a decent size. The others have been strung up to dry and they'll go back in as growers for next year.

A note of caution. Eat the big ones and use the small ones for next year as the small ones grow into a smaller number of larger onions and the large ones grow into a larger number of small ones...so of you want to eat larger ones, sow the small ones. And if you can get any of the large ones to flower - for goodness sakes save that seed!


1 comment:

For The Record - VVG's Sowing and Growing in 2012 said...

Beautiful - point these out to me at Ryton 2013 PD - I want some.